A kitchen is the linchpin of a functional home. Hence, having sleek and modern kitchen design is essential for inspiring healthy living, boosting your property value and leaving your guests in awe. In this article we’re going to outline a few of the emerging kitchen design trends in 2020 / 2021, as well as a few ‘bonus tips’ on how you can revitalise your current design.
What Are the Emerging Kitchen Design Trends?
Professionals advise that no less than five percent of a property’s value should be in the kitchen. It’s commonly argued that the kitchen is the most important room of the house when selling a property. For this reason, putting yourself in your buyer’s perspective and thinking about what the emerging kitchen design trends are is an improbable method to inflate the value of your premise.
- Marble – Marble is not only famous for its aesthetic appeal, but also for it’s functionality as a kitchen countertop. Marble countertops are affordable, durable, aesthetic and highly heat resistant. This heat absorption makes it perfect for carrying around and placing hot plates, without burning a hole in your kitchen bench.
- Wood Finishes – Wood is a highly sustainable and relatively affordable building material that provides a beautiful natural aesthetic to a kitchen, creating an organic atmosphere in your kitchen.
- Energy Efficiency – One of the key trends emerging in 2021 is a focus on sustainability. As debate surrounding climate change is continuously taking the limelight, there is a heavy socio cultural shift towards sustainable practices.
- Fixture Lighting – There are a myriad of benefits to installing fixture lighting in a kitchen. Not only does it provide a warm aesthetic, but fixture lighting is also far more energy efficient than traditional LED lighting solutions.
- Faucet Styling – One of the most prevalent trends in interior design is faucet styling. In congruence with the principles of industrial design, taking advantage of styling metallic piping adds an extra colour to your palette.
What Can I Do to Revitalise My Kitchen Design?
If you can’t afford an entire renovation of your kitchen, here are a few key design principles you can implement to revitalise the aesthetic appeal of your kitchen:
- Balance – Balance is concerned with the visual weighting of objects. Hence, what you do to one side you should mirror or visually counterbalance the other.
- Emphasis – Emphasis involves highlighting the focal point of your design through the use of supporting elements. Whether it be through lighting or colour, you should aim to draw the most attention to the centrepiece of your kitchen.
- Contrast – Contrast is the effective use of colouring to help enhance the aesthetic appeal of a room. Effective contrast is achieved through space, form and colour.
- Rhythm – As in music, rhythm in interior design plays a significant role in guiding the viewer’s eye through your kitchen. By aligning your elements in a specific rhythm, it adds an extra layer of aesthetic appeal.
- Proportion – If the elements in your room are disproportionate, it can become an eyesore. Be specific with the proportion of your selected furniture and appliances.
- Harmony – In congruence with the rest of the principles, harmonising your design with well balanced elements is essential.
- Specific details – Whether it be a fancy sink or wall-garden feature, adding specific details to your piece will give it a unique flavour.
What Are the Elements of Feng Shui?
Feng Shui is an ancient Chinese philosophy that advocates for the harmony between elements through layout. The philosophy is prophesied to bring good fortune to homeowners who correctly align the elements of their home. The five elements of Feng Shui are:
How Can I Utilise The Principles of Feng Shui?
As well as adding the necessary elements of wood, earth, metal, water and fire to your home, the next step is aligning them in harmony with each other. One of the key philosophies behind Feng Shui is to remove clutter and structure your home cleanly. By adding plants, metal features, decluttering your entry and keeping things clean, you’ll be taking more pride in your living space, contributing to a healthier and more fulfilling lifestyle.
Where Do I Go From Here?
If you’re living in Brisbane and you’re considering doing a complete renovation, you may want to consider checking out some kitchen designs Brisbane from the team at Unique Design. Their team is developing a reputation for affordable modern kitchen renovations. Alternatively, if you don’t have the budget to get a complete kitchen renovation, you might want to consider realigning the elements of your home with the basic design principles of Feng Shui. If you’re looking for inspiration, Pinterest is a great platform for browsing through kitchen designs from some of the world’s leading interior designers. There, you’ll be able to draw inspiration from industry professionals and strategise to create a kitchen design for your building that you’re proud of.